Monday, April 27, 2009

Role Models

Last week was a pretty rough week so I was glad to finally make it to the weekend. Getting home Friday night I needed something to take my mind off things.

I didn't really feel like going out so my Wife and I settled down to watch a film. We'd been given a copy of Role Models a few weeks ago and thinking it might be good for a laugh we put it on.

I was a bit hesitant at first. I was worried it would be a bit of a let down but it was a very funny film. Not really family friendly but it was definitely what the doctor ordered.

My Wife and I watch a lot of films, the majority of which are ok so it's rare that we find something that catches us in just the right mood and we both really enjoy. We have seen some good films but it's nice when you find yourself enjoying something unexpectedly.

Role Models is a stupid comedy starring Seann William Scott (from American Pie) and Paul Rudd (40 year old virgin etc) but it was highly enjoyable. The star of the show was undoubtedly Christopher Mintz-Plasse (Superbad) playing a geeky school kid obsessed with the live action fantasy game 'Laire'.

Another film we've seen recently that was better than expected was Jim Carrey's "Yes Man". Based on the book by Danny Wallace, we feared this would be another stupid American take on a British favourite but the laughs kept coming. It wasn't exactly true to the book, more based on the idea of the book but it's definitely worth checking out if you want to put a smile on your face.

If you're looking for a real feel good film for the whole family, I'd recommend "August Rush". My Wife picked this one out and I wasn't too keen but it is worth checking out. It's one of those lesser known films that has a solid cast (Robin William, Jonathan Rhys Meyers).

If you want a good film you can really get involved in, try Mel Gibson's "Apocalypto". It's subtitled and long but definitely worth the effort.

1 comment:

  1. I loved August Rush...so good, I think I'll watch it now.
    ~j

    ReplyDelete