Thursday, June 4, 2009

A life time

Do you believe in fate?

My Wife has lived in the US for 20 years. She moved from Ireland in May 1989, spending a year in Boston before heading south to Houston.

It's actually amazing to think how our lives could have been so different. It's probably a miracle we ever actually met!

1989 is the year I started high school. I was 11 years old and dreamt of a career as a professional footballer. I never even considered that one day I would live in another country.

I moved to Houston originally in 1996 with my parents. Three years later I returned to England to basically get my late teens/early twenties out of my system.

Six years passed when I decided I'd had enough of living in a cold rainy city and it was time to spend my days in the sunshine. I'd been in Houston about a year before my Wife and I met.

In her blog today she ponders what her life would be like if her family had never left Ireland. If neither of us had left our home towns we never would have met.

I'm a cynical person and I don't normally buy in to all that soul mate, meant to be type nonsense but our stories could have been so different that I sometimes find myself wondering if everything we have both been through had to happen so that we would eventually find each other.

If you've ever seen the film 'Sliding Doors' starring Gwyneth Paltrow, it explores this question. The story is split in two to show how a woman's life would be different had she missed her train home from work and never discovered her boyfriend was cheating on her.

I don't claim to have all the answers, or even all of the questions, but I do know that whoever decided my Wife and I should be together and went to the trouble of making sure it happened, probably deserves a pint should we ever meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment