Tuesday, January 20, 2009

New Year...New Mood?

Welcome to my new blog.

I just set up this blog a few minutes ago to put my thoughts down into words and see if they make any sense, or if I have anything interesting to say.

We're now almost 3 weeks into 2009 and the main theme so far seems to be one of confrontation. It's almost like the whole world got out of bed the wrong side on new year's day.

At work, everything seems to be a challenge lately, from getting people to do what they're supposed to do, to getting answers to seemingly simple questions and so on. Even when you're trying to help people with their job, most people I've had to deal with this year do not have the capacity to think for themselves and make the small changes required to, maybe not reach their potential, but at least make a start.

Even in my personal life, the same thing seems to be happening. People make no attempt to improve their own lives, but make themselves feel better by putting down the people who do try to make something of themselves. Is it jealousy? Or just in their nature to criticise others?

Certain people I encounter talk at each other, not to each other, so that every conversation seems like confrontation. They say their piece then pause not to listen to what the other person is saying but to think of a way they can get the same point across using different words. They assume the other person is wrong, even though they refuse to listen to the words coming out of their mouth, and the volume gradually increases. The funny thing is, if they'd only stop and listen to each other, they'd find they're all saying the same things! I can't help but feel that people like that are missing out on a lot of the joys of life because they already think they know everything.

Is it really possible to let others continue doing the same things, in the same way, getting the same results, and then listening to them complaining how unfair life is, without letting it get to you? Is it really possible to ignore their attempts to drag you down to their level?

I've been married for just over two months. My beautiful wife, who admittedly puts up with a lot, continues to give me the belief that this will be a great year. I know if it's just the two of us, doing our own thing, it will be.

So that's it for now. I've achieved what I set out to do and created this blog. Now all that remains to be seen is whether I have the dedication to keep it going.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment