Sunday, January 25, 2009

Yes Man (& Woman)

Last night we went out with friends. Nothing fancy, just a meal, then a few drinks in a new bar afterwards. But it was a good night, enjoyed by all (I think!).

This year, my wife and I have made a conscious decision to reconnect with the friends we neglected last year. The neglect wasn't a deliberate thing, but we spent the entire year planning our Wedding, and then after Hurricane Ike hit, re-planning our Wedding.

We got married in November, went on honeymoon (which is where my new profile picture is from by the way) and then straight into Thanksgiving. Once that was out of the way, all thoughts turned to Christmas.

Only now are things starting to settle down. We found ourselves emotionally, and physically drained after such a busy but amazing year. We had a nice quiet Christmas, but it didn't really feel like Christmas, and it was the first New Year's Eve I can remember that I've been in my own home when midnight struck.

The thing with planning a Wedding is that most other things come second on your priority scale. Everything is geared to that one day, and then when it's all over, there's a bit of an anti-climax. Not with the marriage, but you've spent so long planning and working towards something that it's a bit of a culture shock when there's nothing to do and nowhere to go. You can't help but feel a bit lost and that's when things start to catch up with you.

The latest Jim Carrey movie, 'Yes Man' is about a guy who decides to say yes to everything. Based on the real life account of author Danny Wallace, who having found himself in a similar predicament as us (though for different reasons) decided to spend an entire year saying yes to everything to see where it took him. The book is a good read, although I haven't seen the movie yet. Maybe my wife & I can take Danny's experience as our inspiration. I won't spoil the book for you but I would recommend checking out Danny's work when you have the time (http://www.dannywallace.com/).

So this year we're determined to re-open our diary and get out more. We're hoping to fit in a couple of trips too but we've made a decent start to our new busier calendar. This is the second consecutive weekend we've had engagements at least two of the days.

This afternoon we're at a six year old's birthday party at a roller skating rink so only time will tell whether we still feel like saying yes after that!

Wish me luck..

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment